Saturday, December 1, 2012

Novel: Anansi Boys




Anansi Boys by: Neil Gaiman

Neil Gaiman is one of those writers where if you know his work, you will understand what I’m talking about, and if you don’t, you should pick up any of his books right away and find out.  He writes in a way totally unlike anything else I’ve ever encountered - endlessly hilarious, flowing, with a train-of-thought, almost psychedelic style, yet in a way, which seems simple and modest.  His strange prose and subject matter feels completely normal when you’re absorbed in it, and if you do notice it at all it only enhances your enjoyment.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of this book is the way he effortlessly blended a slightly hopeless, resigned, ordinary main character, living in our ordinary world, with a series of increasingly insane mythologies and legends.  I love when writers use existing mythology and bend it to their own story, as I feel like it includes the reader in the journey - like they have a jump start on knowing the characters - and Gaiman has done an incredible job of that here.  It’s impossible to pin down what the novel is really about - family, in a sense, in that most of the trouble is caused by the protagonist’s brother and father, both of whom are magical beings who seem to live off their own charm and wit.  But it doesn’t really seem to matter that I left the book almost as confused as I began it.  I was in hysterics for most of the novel, at the situations, descriptions and dialogue in equal measure.  Every sentence seemed to be laced with hundreds of layers of meaning in a way that completely delighted me.

All in all, I would say this book is a must read for anyone who likes a mixture of extreme, on-the-nose events, and subtle nuances of humor.  Like me, I’m sure you’ll be hanging on with tight fingers until the very last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment